Firefighters issue incense stick warning after flat fire in Upper Norwood

Firefighters issue incense stick warning after flat fire in Upper Norwood

01/07/2019keenan seenan

Firefighters are warning Londoners to take care when using incense sticks after a fire at a flat above a shop on Church Road in Upper Norwood.

A three roomed flat on the first floor was partly damaged by fire. Three people left the property before the arrival of the Brigade. They were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation by London Ambulance Service crews and taken to hospital as a precaution.

The alarm was raised by a neighbour who called the Brigade after seeing smoke coming from the windows of the flat and alerted the occupants.

Fire investigators believe two incense sticks left unattended to be the cause of the fire.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said:  “Candles, incense sticks and oil burners are one of the most common causes of fire. It is really important that you never leave them unattended and keep them away from anything that could catch fire such as curtains, furniture or clothes. We advise to place these in a suitable fire resistant candleholder which won’t be knocked over, and make sure you put them out entirely when you leave the room and especially before bed.”